The recent Covid-19 pandemic has increased doubt about the economy, finances, jobs, and relations as well as physical and mental health. Who doesn’t want to feel safe and have a sense of control over their lives? However, in such times, many of us feel stressed, anxious, and generally insecure.
Such conditions have given rise to anxiety among the common men, especially at workplaces. The impact of mental health problems in the workplace has grim consequences upon an individual.
Effects of Work Anxiety
If you or someone close to you is going through work anxiety, it has most likely taken a toll on several aspects of their life. Below are some of the most common effects of work anxiety, which might be a sign of concern:
- The decline in performance at job and quality of work
- Negative impact on relationships with co-workers and employer
- Negative impact on relationships with family members
- Difficulty with a concentration on a single matter inside & outside the workplace
- Lower confidence levels may lead to turning down opportunities at work
Consider the suggestions given below, it might help.
Discuss with Your Employer
It should be kept in mind that if you have a diagnosed clinical anxiety disorder you have every right to speak up on it at the workplace without the fear of losing your job, according to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) 1990. So, it’s better to discuss your concerns with your boss. Your employer might get you relaxation in official matters or better yet, may get you access to a stress management class.
Cancel Toxic Culture
You might consider your interactions with people at work. This may also be the underlying cause of your anxiety. Recognize any toxic behavior of your colleague or employer and speak up about it politely. You need to take a stand for your mental health.
Consult a Psychiatrist
If you are constantly getting anxious and every coping mechanism is failing to help then going to a psychiatrist might be a good option. You will probably need medications if you are diagnosed with clinical anxiety. You can always avail of special offers and get discount prices with pharmacy coupon for your medications.
Take a Break
When you are feeling overwhelmed with work affairs it’s always a better idea to take a break. Take deep breaths and engage in activities that are not work-related. You can even take some days off from work and go on vacations for a few days with the family.
Here are some extra tips on how you can curb your anxiety at the workplace:
- Find things that make you laugh and smile.
- Take lunch breaks with people outside your workspace.
- Go for a 10-minute walk out of the office listening to your favorite playlist.
- Decorate your workspace.
- Adopt hobbies and follow them after work hours.
- Focus on the positive aspects of your professional and personal life.
Always remember you are not alone and you don’t need to be isolated. Reach out for help from your family, colleagues, and medical experts.