This article is brought to you in partnership with Miorah’s
As we look through the history of mankind, men have dripped in gold and jewels way more than women ever have. The portraits of various kings from different eras, the sculptures carved on the temples, the paintings on the walls of historic buildings all vouch for the very same fact.
With the onset of both the World Wars, metals became a scarce material. Poverty began to peak, thus there were drastic changes in the fashion and lifestyle of the common masses. The industrial revolution also brought a lot of change in the diaspora of fashion and jewellery. Men and women began to wear less and less jewellery for the day to day activities and focused on more subtle items like rings and earrings rather than heavier pieces.
Especially men for various reasons had stopped wearing jewellery except for wedding bands, the societal norms of masculinity are one of them. But nowadays a lot of men have started to embrace the changing trends of fashion and have started adoring jewellery. Of course, it will be seemingly odd to see a guy wearing a bejewelled crown walking down the street!
In the world of hip hop, heavy gold and diamond embellished chains, necklaces, rings, earrings, etc. have become a major signifier. Celebrities like Harry Styles, Chadwick Boseman, etc. have all been seen on the red carpet wearing jewellery. A lot of men like it subtle others go overboard, well we support whatever floats your boat!
The key to wearing jewellery is doing it nonchalantly, and when we say men’s jewellery we talk about the add on accessories over your outfit like cufflinks, bracelets, earrings, rings, tie pins, etc.
Let’s take a look at the different types of men’s jewellery you can style to look your very best effortlessly:
- Bracelets: Bracelets are one of the small and easily stackable accessories and one can go pretty much overboard with these. There is no ‘less is more in this, as with a little bit of styling you can definitely make a style statement. There are a plethora of options you can pair with your watch. Because our hands are a pair, they are always seen in conjunction, including the accessories we wear. Leather or wooden bracelets are often paired best with casual and business casuals outfits. Whilst gemstone and metal ones lie on the more formal spectrum of styling. You can wear a single metal bracelet paired with your watch for a sophisticated look. And if you are in the mood to stack it up you can mix and match and colour-coordinate it with the rest of your outfit for a more put-together look.
- Rings: Traditionally, whenever someone thinks of a man wearing a ring, it is mostly the wedding band that creeps into the mind. Rings can however serve ornamental purposes as well. Rings are known to be one of the most sought after accessories to date. It has not lost its popularity due to its traditional and sentimental value. Although there are a few tips to follow when styling rings. In terms of design, if you are going for bulk on one finger then you can minimize it on the other. The mixing and matching according to the size are very important when it comes to rings. One can also match rings made of various other materials other than metals like wood, stone, etc.
- Chains: Like any other accessory, chains or heavy necklace like chains are a subtle accent to your personality and your overall ensemble. A fact to be noticed is that when it comes to men’s chains or necklaces they are often hidden behind their shirts and clothes. When it comes to styling chains, layering is the real deal. It should be always done in a correct way as it holds the power to make or break your look. Considering your entire outfit is important when wearing chains or necklaces. Metal necklaces crafted in silver or brass carry a more formal appeal to them and perhaps are more suited for occasions as well.
- Earrings: Tiny treasures!!! Men’s stud earrings are the smallest and arguably one of the hardest pieces of jewellery for a man to pull off especially at the workplace. Earrings have the power to draw a lot of attention away from or on your face. With that in mind, if you are wearing them in formal settings, it is best to go with something subtle. And if you are off to a more casual setting, you can obviously go overboard and mix and match with your ensemble.
- Tie Pins: A tie or otherwise known as a tie bar is both functional and fashionable. They are a great accent piece plus they also tend to keep your tie in place and stop it from wandering over the wrong places. When it comes to tie pins, one should always keep in mind the proper placement and the width. Suggestively the proper placement of a tie pin is said to be between the 3rd and 4th shirt button, while a proper width is said to be about half the width of the tie. They are indeed considered to be the must-haves for your formal dressings.
- Cufflinks: Just like tie pins, cufflinks are usually reserved for the most formal occasions. Cufflinks require shirts with French cuffs and are mostly tailor-made, you can find them online as well. Like with any other accessory, they look best if you match them not only with your outfit but also with the other accessories you are donning. Since nowadays cufflinks are rarely seen, they can be an easy way to stand apart from the crowd and make a fashion statement. You can sport them with a suit or else you can go with a more subtle pair for your shirts.
Miorah’s Men’s Jewellery Collection
Miorah’s take on men’s jewellery has always been ahead of its time. They offer a variety of designs in every section, be it tie pins, bracelets, chains, etc. Their selection of men’s jewellery is the best online collection you will ever come across. Their designs are not only traditional but also a blend of contemporary to suit your personality and style be it any occasion.