Keeping stylish in the post-pandemic age is a great way to have you jump back to normalcy. One ageless trend is the flannel shirt.
Flannel is a fabric or material that is cotton but soft and of medium weight. It usually has a napped or fuzzy finish on one side or on both sides. To achieve this napped finish, the material is usually brushed. Since it is a characteristically loosely spun weave, it fuzzes out easily, making it a great material for winter wear on the heavier end of the fabric. The weaving can be plain or include patterns such as plaid and tartan.
Over the ages, the production material has changed from wool, which was the primary material from the 17th century to cotton in the 21st century. It’s interesting to note that the origin country for flannel was Wales.
The flannel shirt trend for men:
The origins of the flannel shirts go back to farmers and lumberjacks who wore them in the outdoors to keep warm. They started to become popular and mainstream when they were associated with grunge fashion and bands like Nirvana.
The shirt gives a characteristically Americana casual and lumberjack kind of look. However, there are lots of ways to dress up or down with a flannel.
How to wear your flannel casually:
For those aiming to go for a casual look, consider the following outfits:
- Wear them with a pair of jeans or a pair of shorts. Khaki or chino pants are also a great way to go. The idea here is to have a pair of trousers that gives you the casual feel to go with the flannel shirt.
- Choose to layer the shirts underneath with a white shirt. An undershirt can be of any color but white offers great contrast. The undershirt also keeps you fresh in sunny weather by soaking up any sweat.
- Layer the flannel with a hoodie or jacket in cold weather. You can wear a jacket over the flannel with a different color to create a good contrast.
- Avoid wearing the flannel with sweatpants, as it gives too much of a casual look that borders on sloppy. Unless of course, you’re just staying at home binge-watching Squid Game.
- Couple up your looks with boots that are brown, tan, or black for a more solid and grungier look. Tennis shoes and sneakers are a great choice too, especially if you will be doing a lot of walking.
How to dress up your flannel look:
Flannel is not the obvious choice for formal settings, but if done rightly, it can make for a good choice. This is especially true for occasions where smart casual outfits are allowed. This may include an office party, a casual wedding, or a fancy dinner. The trick here is choosing upscale pieces to combine your flannel with. Here are some ways to do so:
- Wear your flannel with a good pair of trousers. A well-tailored pair of chinos will go well with a flannel shirt.
- Choose less bold and shouting colors. You can wear plain colored or small checked flannels and tuck them in to achieve a formal look
- Your coat and blazer choices should also be as good as when wearing a suit. Soft-structured blazers will go well in this case. A leather jacket can also serve to upgrade the look further.
- Use a tie and a leather belt to bring the outfit together elegantly.
- When it comes to footwear, choose to go with derby or oxford shoes, as they are most appropriate for formal settings.
The way you choose to style your flannel shirts depends on the aesthetic you are aiming to create with your look. There is a wide variety of colors to choose from: black, red, green, blue, and white among others. Since flannel shirts allow the wearer to be bold, you can get to show out your fiery personality through them.
Flannel shirts are definitely a staple in any man’s closet. They are easy to style and have proven capable to rise up to the occasion when needed to. As you shop for the best choice for yourself or for the men in your life, remember to keep it trendy and raggedy.