Editor’s note: This article is part of ChivMen exclusive series where the articles will guide and provide knowledge to men about everything in life.
Having an emergency water supply on hand helps to ensure you always have the water you’d need. An unfortunate situation can occur for several reasons, so it’s always a good idea to have a backup source.
Importance Of Storing Water
You never know when disaster will strike, and having a reliable source of water can be incredibly beneficial during these situations. Sometimes, there’s a huge plumbing leak and the source needs to be shut down. Here are some reasons why it’s significant to have a source of water during an emergency:
- Water is a cleaning agent, so you need to have an ample supply to keep your surroundings sanitized. You also need water to bathe or clean your body every day, so a good amount of supply in your home is crucial.
- One of the most important reasons to store water is for food preparation. You need clean water to wash and cook the ingredients.
- An ample supply of clean water allows you to consume safe water during a shortage. You need to continue drinking eight to ten glasses of water every day even if the water supply is shut down or if repairs are being made by the utility service provider.
The best solution for storing water is to have a storage system that’s easily accessible in times of need. With a few simple plans and guidelines, you can use water to the fullest without worrying about putting your family’s safety at risk.
Guide Questions For Preparing
To make sure your home has an adequate supply, here are some questions you can use as considerations when storing water for emergencies:
1. How Much Water Do You Need To Store?
If you have a storage unit holding a large amount of water such as this one from The Water Tank Factory and other similar products, you can take advantage of this emergency water supply when the situation calls for it. However, you need to determine how much you need to store so it can be used by everyone in the home. Keep these in mind when choosing the right container:
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a person needs at least one gallon of water every day solely for drinking and sanitation. More water should be stored for those who live in hot climates, and those who live with children, sick persons, or pregnant women.
- There should be an equivalent of a two-week supply for emergency water storage. If there are four people in your family, you should have at least 56 gallons of clean and safe water stored properly.
- Although you should store at least two weeks’ worth of water for emergency preparedness, the more water you can store, the better.
2. Where Will You Store Water?
There are different types of water storage containers available, so it’s crucial to know their advantages. The primary benefit of using bucket storage containers is they’re extremely portable. If you’re not planning on staying at a particular location for an extended period, this can be extremely advantageous.
Bucket storage containers can be taken apart and packed up, so you’ll be able to take them with you. You don’t need to worry about transporting a large cargo because the storage itself takes up very little space, depending on the type of container you choose.
Plastic water storage tanks are great for storing an emergency water supply because you’ll find them in a variety of sizes and shapes, so you’ll easily find one that’ll fit your requirements perfectly. Rainwater storage tanks are a cost-effective option if you want to harvest rainwater for irrigation and flushing toilets.
3. How Do You Maintain Your Water Storage Container?
It’s best to store clean water in sturdy containers easy to clean and maintain. Plastic containers are usually the best option for storing water. However, make sure containers are sealed tightly so nothing spills out or seeps inside.
4. Where Should You Keep Your Emergency Water Supply?
Remember, water stored in a hot and open area is most likely to dry out quickly and possibly get contaminated. You should store water in a cool and dry area to prevent any form of leakage or contamination from occurring.
5. Do You Have A Water Filtration System?
One of the best ways to make sure you have enough clean water supply is to have an emergency water filtration system available at home. These systems are easy to install and convenient to use. By having a filtration system, you can make sure you’ll always have clean water to drink and will be able to stay safe when you’re without a sanitized water source.
If you have no access to a water treatment facility or filtration system, you may also consider using purification tablets to take with you in case you become stranded without proper water sources.
When disasters strike and find yourself stranded, you may not have any access to clean water. If there’s a shortage due to ongoing repairs or limited sources, having an emergency water supply can ensure your home has adequate water to use.
By creating an emergency water reserve, you can have peace of mind knowing you’ll always have access to safe, clean, and reliable water in times of need.