Icebreaker questions are now in trend just like bro code rules, truth and dare questions, and many more things. These questions are perfect for every occasion and help you to stay happy and enjoy each moment. So what exactly are ice breaker questions?
Icebreaker questions are thought-provoking questions you can use to encourage people to talk and get to know them better. These questions can be used in most situations where a fun, light-hearted conversation is needed to lighten the mood and encourage real bonding.
So, here is the list of ice breaker questions and their types which are as follows.
Table of Contents
What Would You Be Icebreaker Questions
A great way to break the ice is by activating people’s imagination using familiar and funny topics. The following quick, easy questions allow you to engage individuals you don’t know very well.
- If you could be cast in a movie of your choice, what movie would you choose and which character would you want to play?
- If you could meet any historical figure, either living or deceased, who would you choose and why?
- If you could choose only one place to go on vacation for the rest of your life, where would it be and why?
- If you were an ice cream flavor, which would you be and why?
- If you could pick up a certain skill instantly, what would it be?
- If you had a talk show, who would your first three guests be?
- If you could instantly be an expert in a subject, what would it be?
“What would you be” questions can be adapted in countless ways to tap into people’s personalities and get them talking. What vegetable would you be and why? What animal would you be? What kind of cereal would you be? Try a few of your versions, or customize them to fit the next networking event you’re attending and see what happens.
Play Favorites Icebreaker Questions
Another great way to break the ice with strangers is to encourage them to tell a personal, positive story. See if one of the below appeals to you:
- What’s your favorite personal possession and why?
- What was your favorite class in school?
- Where is the last place you went for the first time?
- Do you have a personal hero?
- What are you currently reading?
- What’s the most memorable vacation you’ve ever taken?
- What is your favorite movie?
- Who was your favorite teacher when you were young? Why?
- What superpower would you like to have?
- What’s your favorite section in a bookstore or library?
The key to success with “Play favorites” questions is to avoid negative experiences and elicit either fond memories or future aspirational goals.
Personal Brand Icebreaker Questions
Asking people what they value about themselves or asking them to think in metaphors can quickly unlock powerful insights.
- Which season fits your personality best spring, summer, fall, or winter, and why?
- What would the title of your autobiography be?
- If you were to choose a well-known axiom or slogan for your life, what would it be? (Bonus points if you can adapt this question for the meeting, topic, client brand, or event you’re attending.)
- Do you collect anything?
- If you were a color, which would you be and why?
- What aspect of your personality adds the most value to the world?
- What’s a skill you learned when you were young that you still use today?
By learning the traits that people assign to themselves based on these comparisons, you can learn what they aspire to and want to be known for.
Deep-dive Icebreaker Questions
Asking these questions will take the conversation with another individual a bit further than the average icebreaker. They provide great opportunities to learn more about another person’s current professional lives, their talents, and even the challenges they’re experiencing.
- What talent or potential do you have that is not fully realized at your current job?
- What single activity at work, if you could do it every day, would most increase your appreciation of and success at your current job?
- What’s something you believed earlier in your career but think about differently now?
- Is there a certain person that has inspired your work?
- What’s your proudest accomplishment?
- What’s the most valuable piece of career advice you’ve been given?
Food Icebreaker Questions
Asking questions about food is a good thing. People love to talk about food. Because of this, you will get to know about the taste of other people. Also, what kind of food do they love to eat or not.
- Favorite grocery item while shopping locally?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- If you could only eat one item of food for the rest of your life, what would you eat?
- What is your favorite candy or treat?
- Sweet, salty, or sour?
- What’s the weirdest food you’ve ever eaten?
- What is something you are great at cooking?
- What is something you can’t cook?
- What is your favorite dessert?
- If you could eliminate one food so no one could eat it ever again, what would you destroy?
- What is your favorite breakfast? Lunch? Dinner?
Technology Icebreaker Questions
Some people are desperately in love with new technology. As they love to talk about technology and advancement in technology. So, here is the best list of questions to ask.
- If you had to delete all but 3 apps from your smartphone, which ones would you keep? (Three apps that have changed your life.)
- When did you get your first cell phone? What kind was it?
- If you had to choose between only having a cell phone or a car for the rest of your life, which would you choose?
- How many Facebook friends do you have? How many of them do you communicate with?
- What technology innovation made the most impact on your life?
- Desktop, laptop, or tablet? Which do you prefer to use?
- What is your favorite thing about technology? Least favorite?
Sci-Fi And Entertainment Icebreaker Questions
These questions are perfect for kids because they love to entertain themselves with sci-fi things.
- Where would you time travel, if it were possible?
- If you could have a superpower, what would it be and why?
- If you were the captain of a pirate ship, what would be the name of your ship?
- If you could travel to any other planet (real or fictional), where would you go and why?
- What is your favorite movie?
- Who is your favorite actor/actress?
- What is your favorite book?
- What is your favorite tv series?
- What show on Netflix did you binge watch embarrassingly fast?
- If you could be any fictional character, who would you be?
- What type of music do you listen to?
- What movie can you rewatch over and over again?
Reflective Icebreaker Questions
Well, these icebreaker questions are for those who love their old time.
- If you could go back in time and make little changes to your childhood, what is one thing you’d learn and master over the years so you’d be an expert at it today?
- If you won a lottery of $1 billion, what would you do with all the money?
- How would you change your life today if the average life expectancy was 400 years?
- What is the most challenging job you can think of?
- A genie grants you three wishes but none of them can directly benefit you. What would those wishes be?
- If you had to change your name, what would your new name be, and why would you choose that name?
- What are the best and worst purchases you’ve ever made?
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
- What is your most treasured material possession?
- What is your favorite smell and why?
- What do you never leave the house without other than your phone, keys, or wallet?
- Who is your hero, and why?
- What is your earliest childhood memory?
- Who was your favorite teacher in a school and how did he or she impact you?
- If you could choose an age to remain forever, which age would you choose?
- What is one important skill every person should have?
- What was the best thing that happened to you this weekend? This month? This year?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- Do you set New Years Resolutions? What was one of yours this year? Have you kept it?
Work Icebreaker Questions
Work icebreaker questions are quite popular nowadays just because people have their busy schedules.
- As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- What is your least favorite job you’ve ever had?
- What is your favorite job you’ve ever had?
- What are you going to do when you retire?
- What’s one sentence you’d like to hear from your boss?
- What characteristics do you value the most in your coworkers?
- What is the most important personal attribute that you bring to your job?
- What are you most excited about concerning your job this year?
- What’s one work-related skill that you’d like to develop, especially if you could do it easily?
- What coworker characteristics do you find most irritating?
- What’s the single most important factor that you would change about your job?
- What is the most significant factor, that your organization has control over, that interferes with your success?
- How much money would you need to win to walk away from your current job?
- What is one important skill that you think everyone should have?
- There are now 25 hours in a day! How do you spend your extra hour?
- What is one of your greatest work-related achievements?
- What activity helps you relieve stress at work?
- What class did you take in school that helps you with your job?
- Professional, casual, or sweatpants? If there were no dress code, how would you dress for work?
Funny Icebreaker Questions
As the name describes, that these questions are for fun and laughter.
- What “old person” things do you do?
- How long would you last in a zombie apocalypse?
- Who is your favorite cartoon character?
- What is your guilty pleasure?
- What are your favorite songs from your teenage years that you still rock out to when nobody else is listening?
- Who was your childhood actor/actress crush?
- What’s the most embarrassing moment from your teen years?
- What’s the craziest dare you ever took?
- What’s the craziest fashion trend you ever rocked?
- What did you get into the most trouble with your parents as a kid?
- What’s your silliest memory with your best friend?
- What dance move are you secretly awesome at?
- What commercial jingle gets stuck in your head all the time?
- What’s the worst haircut you ever had?
- What’s the best prank you’ve ever played on someone?
- What’s the most ridiculous thing your parents ever did to embarrass you?
- As a kid, did you ever do something wrong but manage to pin it on your siblings?
The first thing to know about the icebreaker question is to get to know what thing or relation your team member is building with you. By building a relationship with your team member you will understand what they will answer. Building a relationship with your team members is very important as this gives you time to add more questions as well. Team work is very important when you are asking questions to different members of your team. You get will to know your team member in a very good way. These icebreaker questions are a very good way of building trust in all your team members.