For real estate purchase transactions, according to Article 35 of the Land Registry Law numbered 2644, foreign citizens are allowed to buy a house in Turkey, provided that they comply with the legal requirement. In Article 35 of the Law, the following expressions are used regarding the conditions required for foreign citizens to own a house:
Provided that legal restrictions are complied with, foreign national real persons who are citizens of the countries designated by the President of the Republic in cases required by the international bilateral relations and the country’s interests may acquire real estate and limited real rights in Turkey.
The total amount of real estate acquired by foreign real persons and limited real rights of an independent and permanent nature area cannot exceed ten percent of the district. The territory is privately owned and is thirty hectares per capita throughout the country.
It is important for foreign nationals who want to own real estate in Turkey to get information about the details they need to know before buying process. First of all, the General Directorate of Land Registry and Cadastre (Department of Foreign Affairs) or the Embassies/Consulates of the Republic of Turkey should be contacted to obtain information about which countries’ citizens can purchase real estate within the borders of the Republic of Turkey.
The next step in the process is to make sure that the house to be purchased is not within the borders of the military security zone. This information can be obtained through the commands authorized by the Land Registry Directorate. If the real estate to be purchased is located within the borders of the military security zone, real estate cannot be sold to foreign citizens.
The real estate purchase process requires knowledge and experience. At this point, it is very important for foreign citizens who are thinking of buying real estate in Turkey to work with experienced and reliable companies. The people at Istanbul Property provides its customers with a professional and flawless process with its prestigious projects, a wide range of products, and experienced staff who will be with you at every moment of the process.
What are the Conditions for Foreigners to Buy a House in Turkey?
In case of compliance with the restrictions imposed on the purchase of a real estate for foreign citizens in Turkey, sales can be made.
After determining that foreign nationals who want to buy a house in Turkey are suitable for real estate purchase, the title deed transfer process should be carried out. First of all, it is necessary to make an appointment with the necessary authorities for this process. Online appointments can be made through the Land Registry Appointment System, one of the General Directorate of Land Registry and Cadastre services. Appointments can be made by calling 181 for domestic transportation and +90 312 593 99 00 for international transportation. The documents required in the real estate sales process can be listed as follows:
- The title deed of the real estate to be purchased,
- Identity document or passport (Translation of these documents can be requested when necessary),
- Real estate market certificate obtained from the municipality of the region where the residence is located,
- DASK (Mandatory Earthquake Insurance) policy,
- Real estate valuation report of the residence,
- Real estate appraisal report.
The real estate valuation report has a validity of 3 months as of the issue date. The appraisal report, which expresses the value of the real estate at the time of purchase, should be recorded in the online TAKBIS system within the General Directorate of Land Registry and Cadastre.
If the real estate sales transaction is made with a power of attorney, the original and certified copy of the power of attorney issued abroad must be present.
From Which Cities can Foreigners Buy a House in Turkey?
Foreign nationals can own a house in many regions on the territory of the Republic of Turkey. However, some restrictions are applied to ensure the security of Turkey. According to the details of the announcement published by the General Directorate of Land Registry and Cadastre; citizens of countries bordering Turkey cannot own real estate in provinces bordering their own country.
As an example of this situation; citizens of Bulgaria are not allowed to own real estate in Edirne and Kirklareli, Iranian citizens from Agri, Igdir, or Iraqi citizens from Sirnak and Hakkari. Apart from this restriction, citizens of hundreds of countries from Russia to Morocco, from Peru to England can buy real estate in Turkey.
What are the Most Beautiful Cities to Buy a House in Turkey?
Every region of Turkey has a suitable potential for foreigners to live. Cities that are most preferred by foreign citizens and have more favorable conditions compared to other provinces can be listed as follows:
- Istanbul: Istanbul is a city located in the Marmara Region of Turkey and among the most important cities of the Republic of Turkey. It has the feature of being the largest and most populous province of the country with its population amount. It is one of the leading cities in terms of economy, history, socio-cultural, education, and many more. It attracts attention from many parts of the world with its historical and natural beauties.
- Ankara: It has the distinction of being the capital of Turkey. Today, it is a very important city both politically and strategically. It is the second-largest and most populous city in Turkey. It is home to important historical and touristic places of Turkey such as Anitkabir and Duatepe. The city attracts attention with its unique historical and touristic features.
- Antalya: It is a city of tourist importance in Turkey. And it has the distinction of being the fifth most populated city. The region is seen as the “tourism capital” of Turkey. It attracts attention with its natural beauties.
- Izmir: It is one of the cities that come to the fore with the interest it receives not only from abroad but also from within the country. Izmir is one of the important cities in Turkey’s Aegean Region. It has the distinction of being the third most populous city in the country in terms of population. It is one of Turkey’s leading cities in terms of economic, historical, and socio-cultural aspects.
- Bursa: Bursa is one of the important cities of Turkey. It is ranked 28th in the world and 1st in Turkey among the world’s livable cities. It attracts attention with its historical and cultural value.
Can I Become a Turkish Citizen by Buying a House in Turkey?
Owning real estate in Turkey gives the investor a chance to acquire Turkish citizenship if all the conditions for obtaining Turkish citizenship are met. The most important of these conditions is that the price of the real estate to be purchased must be over 250,000 USD.
In addition, the buyer who will own the house for investment or use must commit not to sell the real estate for at least three years as of the date of purchase of the real estate. Before the change in the law, the amount required to be paid by a foreign national who wanted to obtain citizenship was 1,000,000 USD. This situation can be considered one of the most important advantages the Turkish Government provides to investors and foreigners.
Is Living in Turkey Safe for Foreigners?
In the analyzes determined according to the research that measures the interest of foreign investors in real estate in Turkey in the recent period; It is observed that 92.7% of the investors purchasing real estate in Turkey continue to hold the real estate they bought.
According to the studies revealing that the average ownership period is 5.7 years, it has been observed that only 1 out of 4 foreigners investing in real estate in Turkey aims for Turkish citizenship. Together with these data, it reveals that foreigners approach real estate in Turkey with all its positive and negative aspects, and it has been determined that the right to citizenship obtained by investment is not the only factor that determines the decision of foreigners to invest in real estate in Turkey.