If you want to start your luxury or designer items collection but don’t want to spend as much money, then buying pre-loved pieces is the way to go.
Aside from saving money, it’s also sustainable because you’re making good use of the items and protecting the environment at the same time. You don’t have to worry as these are made from high-quality materials and will last for years with proper care.
Continue reading to be guided on buying pre-owned luxury items:
Find Reputable Sellers
If you don’t know where to start looking for pre-loved items, you can either go to stores or go online. On the internet, you’ll come across hundreds if not thousands of listings online from various websites and social media pages. If you’re looking for something in particular, like a Rolex Presidential Watch or a Louis Vuitton backpack, or square-toed Gucci shoes, you can find a reputable online.
The seller’s listings will provide you with photos from different angles and sometimes videos and all the information you might need. If you can’t find it, you can always message them. And if they’re willing to give details and are responsive, then that’s a good sign. Ultimately, trust your gut if you feel like the seller is being shady, then don’t go through with the purchase.
Check The Condition Of The Item
The general rule of getting any item is to check its condition and quality. Check for any signs of damages and take a good look at the seams or stitches, the structure, and the color. Be meticulous as possible, even if it’s a second-hand item and you’re not paying for the original price, it still matters. But, if it looks good as new or at least in good shape, then it’s a good deal.
Validate Its Authenticity
Before you seal the deal, always do your research on the item you want. You can also look it up on the website. It’s important to be careful as counterfeit items are convincing nowadays. Don’t hesitate to ask for photos and videos from the seller or go in person and see the item yourself. It may seem difficult to spot an authentic luxury item from knock offs, but there are a few indicators that can tell you if you have the real thing:
- Smell – The material used will smell different, almost ‘plasticky.’
- Locks – It runs smoothly and isn’t stiff; otherwise, it’s fake.
- Strap – The stitching on the straps should be fine; if it’s done roughly, it’s a knockoff.
- Zipper – Fake luxury items will give you a faulty zipper. Authentic luxury items’ zippers are usually thicker.
- Leather – When you hold the material, and the texture is quite stiff, that leather is fake.
- Engraving – If the engraving isn’t legible or readable and way too thick, then it’s a knockoff.
- Color – Most look darker in color compared to the real ones if you put the same item side by side.
- Weight – This can be tricky as some might seem heavy, and some could weigh less. It’s best to get familiar with real items.
- Box – It should have a rough texture, and the logo is embossed. If it’s flat, it’s fake.
- Charms – If it’s light, then it’s a knockoff.
- Stitching – The gaps between the stitches are smaller compared to the fake ones.
- Authentication Card – The card shouldn’t be inside a plastic thingy. But not all luxury items have authentication cards.
If you’re unsure, you can also ask an expert from the store to take a look at the item.
Don’t Always Go With The Trend
Luxury items are often being listed because it’s out of trend or off-season. Therefore, see if it’s a classic piece or just a fad before purchasing it. Classics never go out of style no matter how many years have passed. In addition, trendy items are usually over the top, and it might be difficult to pair them off.
To be more specific, picture the item years from now, if you see yourself grabbing it often or at least using it then you can buy trendy items. But, if you just want to collect items, that’s a different story.
Get Rare Items
If you’re a collector and don’t like to spend so much, pre-loved items will be a good option for you. There are vintage, limited edition, exclusive and rare pieces too. But usually, they are hard to find. These are also good investments as they offer value for money. Also, the craftsmanship is unparalleled compared to those items you usually see around.
Giving a new life to a pre-owned item is something to be proud of. Some of these pieces are hard to get, and the fact that you have them in your closet means you’re lucky and wise. You didn’t have to spend as much and you can start your collection little by little. The list above will guide you on that journey.
Read Also: Best Dress Watches For A “Night Out” For Men